Spring into Beauty
Spring into Beauty
“Beauty is what health and happiness look like on the outside”. This may be an old quote but is just as true today as when it was written. (Good Housekeeping 1916) So for my spring into beauty tips, here are some simple choices that can help you look your best!
- Start every day with sun protection. The best and scientifically proven way to keep your skin looking its best thought your life is using good sun protection and religiously applying it daily. Even when the sky is cloudy, UV rays can penetrate to affect your skin. Changes that occur include dehydration, loss of elasticity and breakdown of collagen. When you are younger, the changes are less noticeable, but trust me when I tell you that you will pay the price later in life with the aging changes, not to mention the increased risks of skin cancer.
- Use the right skin care. There are many creams and lotions on the market, and when you look at the shelf, you wonder what is best. I suggest starting with a skin care analysis from a health professional. Aestheticians and Cosmetologists, particularly when they work as a team with Plastic Surgeons or Dermatologists, know best how to customize treatments to your skin type and needs. In addition, over-the-counter products may be sufficient to keep your skin moist and protected, but they lack the ability to truly “turn the clock back”. For most individuals with normal type skin, I recommend three main ingredients. One, serums that contain antioxidants like Vitamin C will help to brighten your skin. Two, to help increase cell turnover and stimulate collagen renewal, a product for nighttime should include retinoid (vitamin A), and three, use an alpha hydroxyl acid product either in solution form or cream to help remove the top dead layer of skin cells.
- Want radiant skin that glows? Ever hear the expression we are what we eat? Well guess what? Take it literally. Go for items that are nutrient dense, like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts and healthy lean protein like fish. If you struggle taking in plenty of vegetables, consider taking vitamin supplements. Vitamin D deficiency is rather common, particularly following a long winter, and supplements can help to boost your levels. If you prefer meat to fish, take Omega 3 fish oil to keep your skin glowing. It works by reducing inflammation and can even help with skin problems like acne and psoriasis. Not only will eating well improve the way you look on the outside, but these same choices help on the inside, and are beneficial for aging changes like menopause and heart health.
- De-stress. – You will show all those worry and stress signs on the surface of the skin. Frowns, lines and wrinkles are accentuated when you don’t take the time to reduce anxieties. Do things you enjoy, like reading, meditation, hobbies, or other activities particularly outdoors, like walking or playing golf. The fresh air and fitness will help keep you mentally and physically fit and improve your outlook.
- Enjoy life! – I recently saw the Carol King Musical-Beautiful. To paraphrase her lyrics for that popular song, “You have to get up every morning with a smile on your face…people gonna treat you better, You’re gonna find yes you will”. I find that people are most beautiful when they smile. Have the right attitude towards life and surround yourself with people you like. If you find beauty in the world, beauty will find you!
Follow these simple tips to Spring into Beauty.